Thursday, September 18, 2014

Review: "Trying Not to Love You" by Megan Smith

Clicking on the book cover will take you to its Goodreads page.

MacKenzie Cahill has dealt with overbearing and overprotective brothers her entire life, making it near impossible to enjoy her teenage years. Having a boyfriend was practically impossible until she met a guy that wasn't afraid to stand up to them - Dominic. He was sweet, thoughtful, and everything MacKenzie ever wanted in a man.

But when they go away to college at Old Dominion University, MacKenzie sees a whole new side of Dominic and begins to wonder if he really is different from every other guy.

Her world is turned upside down after a party, and her brothers' best friend Hunter is the one there to offer her a shoulder to cry on. The chemistry between them is electric, and feelings for each other that have been hidden for years are finally voiced.

Is Hunter willing to be disloyal to his best friends in order to be with the one girl he's always secretly wanted?

New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language, and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

~

Alright, so I literally JUST finished "Trying Not to Love You" by Megan Smith, and by literally, I mean I just started reading the sequel. Yes, it was that good that I needed to start the second one.

If I didn't have full-time classes, I'm pretty sure I would have been finished it by last night. I started it yesterday morning and it was just one of those reads that compels you to keep reading on and on and on and neglect the world around you. I may even have read it in class...or not.

I just couldn't get enough of MacKenzie and Hunter...oh boy...Hunter. Hunter is perfection. As the summary says, Hunter is the best friend of Kenzie's very over-protective brothers. You can only imagine how that goes...hint: read the title of the book again. Since it is written in Kenzie's point-of-view, we get to share her every thought and emotion as she deals with the struggle between Hunter and her brothers, and I admire the fact that it is very accurate.

I loved the constant struggles that Kenzie and Hunter had to face together. But the two of them are so adorable together and Hunter is the epitome of "book boyfriend". His love for Kenzie is just...just...melt-worthy and enough for you to fall in love with him. I think it helped that Megan Smith had a little background story in the prologue that gave insight into MacKenzie and her brothers, as well as Hunter too.

It's one of those books where you just want to shove your hands in the pages and literally smush the two people together because you just know it's going to happen but you're thinking to yourself: "Hurry the fuck up already!"

The one thing that bothered me a bit was Kenzie's naïveté. I think it may be because I just finished reading a book where the female was the complete opposite, so the change was just different. However, her naïveté did suit the storyline and added to the character development of other characters, so it's not all that bad.

Now, "Trying Not to Love you" is definitely for older readers as it deals with mature themes and a lot of sexy scenes...a lot. Amazing hot sexy scenes. Amazing hot sexy scenes with Hunter. Need I say more?

Definitely give it a read, and if you love it anywhere as much as I do, you'll definitely forget to eat and sleep because you'll completely immerse yourself into the words. Like I said at the beginning, I literally JUST finished the book before moving on to the second, "Easy to Love You". The ending finished in a cliffhanger that left you craving more and wanting to know absolutely everything.

~

Want to give "Trying Not to Love You" by Megan Smith a try? You can find it at your local bookstore, or online on:


If you've read it already, leave a comment to let myself and others know what you thought!

Much love! 

-BB♡ 

No comments:

Post a Comment