Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Review: "The Hook Up" by Kristen Callihan

I actually literally just finished this book and decided it would make a wonderful first review on BBBB.

Clicking on the picture will take you to its Goodreads page.

The rules: no kissing on the mouth, no staying the night, no telling anyone, and above all… No falling in love.

Anna Jones just wants to finish college and figure out her life. Falling for star quarterback Drew Baylor is certainly not on her to do list. Confident and charming, he lives in the limelight and is way too gorgeous for his own good. If only she could ignore his heated stares and stop thinking about doing hot and dirty things with him. Easy right?

Too bad he’s committed to making her break every rule…

Football has been good to Drew. It’s given him recognition, two National Championships, and the Heisman. But what he really craves is sexy yet prickly Anna Jones. Her cutting humor and blatant disregard for his fame turns him on like nothing else. But there’s one problem: she's shut him down. Completely.

That is until a chance encounter leads to the hottest sex of their lives, along with the possibility of something great. Unfortunately, Anna wants it to remain a hook up. Now it’s up to Drew to tempt her with more: more sex, more satisfaction, more time with him. Until she’s truly hooked. It's a good thing Drew knows all about winning.

All’s fair in love and football…Game on.

New Adult/Contemporary Romance with a HEA - Recommended for readers 17 and older.

~

To start off, I absolutely loved this book. Kristen alternates between Anna's point-of-view and Drew's. This way you gain insight into both of their lives and they are both just incredibly real and very easy to relate to. Anna is not your typical "girl-next-door" and Drew is not your typical "jock". They have emotions that take them on a rollercoaster ride, they have insecurities, they aren't perfect. I believe that having that sense of imperfection is admirable because, in reality, nobody is perfect. I really connected with Anna, and a bit with Drew, because I've lived their lives. I know what it was like to be them and I've been that emotional wreck. What am I talking about? You'll just have to read the book to find out. ;)

Although the title and summary of the book aim for a predictable read, I can guarantee you that there is, in no way, a chance that you will predict what Kristen has in store for Anna and Drew.  These twists and turns are what kept my eyes glued to the pages and rendered it impossible for me to put down the book. I. Just. Couldn't. Stop. Reading.  There was a dire need to know what happened next, and after that, and after that.

Reading "The Hook Up" evoked such a plethora of different emotions that I felt myself constantly crying, grinning like the Cheshire cat, laughing, smiling. cringing, crying again, biting my lip, tearing up with joy, sighing, and staring with my mouth agape (yes, I even caught myself smiling at my Kobo on the commute multiple times...I even began to tear up too, but luckily I had my sunglasses on).

I definitely recommend this to absolutely everyone, of age of course (because there are some very steamy, and incredibly well-written scenes).  The one and only thing that I do not like is the fact that I felt it was so short...there should have been soooo much more of Anna and Drew, then again, I get like that with every book I read because I never want it to end.  There actually is a sequel coming out, tentatively in 2015, "The Friend Zone" which is the story of Drew's best friend, Gray and I can't wait.

Definitely give "The Hook Up" a read. It was my first Kristen Callihan book, but it definitely is not my last. There were just so many memorable scenes that were vividly written, almost as if I was living the scene myself.  There are also a million and one quotes that I want to share with you that just resonated with me. Perhaps, I'll start a monthly quote post with a compilation of my favourite quotes from the books I've read during the month. What do you think?
~

If you're interested in reading "The Hook Up", you can find it in your local bookstore, or on:

Amazon CAN (Kindle)
Amazon US (Kindle)
Kobo
iBooks

Thanks for reading! Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to post, change, talk about, etc!

Much love!

-BB♡

No comments:

Post a Comment